Part 66 FAQs - Resource Group
For our new Part 66 Self-Study courses, CLICK HERE

Part 66 FAQs

General Part 66 FAQs

1. What is Part 66?

Part 66 is the aviation regulation which provides an engineer with the qualifications needed to maintain, certify and release an aircraft into service.

2. What modules do I need for each licence?

B1.1 – Modules 1-10, 11, 15 and 17

B1.3 – Modules 1-10, 12 and 15

B2 – Modules 1-10, 13 and 14

B1-B2 Licence Extension – Modules 4, 5, 7 and 13

B2-B1.1 Licence Extension – Modules 2, 6, 7, 11, 15 and 17

B2-B1.3 Licence Extension – Modules 2, 6, 7, 12 and 15

3. What is the difference between Part 66 instructor-led and Part 66 self-study courses?

Part 66 Instructor-Led courses are taught by technical experts and delivered remotely via Zoom. Each module has set training dates and times which run between Monday – Friday. You will be required to attend your approved examination with Resource Group at one of our UK locations. The cost of the examination at our Cotswold Airport facility is included in the course price. If you wish to take your examination at one of our other locations, this will incur the standard £50.00 +VAT exam charge. You can find more information about our course dates and examinations using our module calendars.

Our Part-66 Self-Study modules are self-paced, meaning you can learn in your own time, at your own pace, reducing the need for you to take time out of work. We recommend you take your approved examinations with Resource Group, because our examinations are aligned to our training material. If you are not able to attend one of our approved examination sessions, you are able to attend an examination with another provider.

4. How can I get a Part 66 licence?

You are required to complete all the Part 66 modules within the licence category that you’re looking to obtain. We would recommend that you gain your initial licence before extending to additional licence categories. In addition to the Part 66 basic knowledge examinations, you will be required to demonstrate sufficient practical maintenance experience within an aircraft maintenance environment. Prior to obtaining your licence, each Part-66 modular certificate will be valid for 10 years from the date of issue.

5. How long is a Part 66 licence valid for?

The aircraft maintenance licence becomes invalid after 5 years and will need to be renewed with the authorities.

6. Do I need a B1 licence before I can get a B2 licence?

No, as the licence categories relate to different disciplines, there is no limitation regarding which licence you gain first.

7. What is the difference between B1 and B2 licences?

A B1 licence focuses on airframes and engines whereas a B2 licence relates to instrumentation and electronic equipment.

8. What is the difference between a CAT A and CAT B licence?

CAT A licence: Minor scheduled line maintenance and simple defect rectification.

CAT B1 licence: Maintenance on an aircraft structure, power plant, mechanical and electrical systems, and avionic systems requiring simple tests to prove their serviceability.

CAT B2 licence: Maintenance on avionic and electrical systems, electric and avionics tasks within a power plant, mechanical systems requiring only simple tests, minor scheduled line maintenance and simple defect rectification.

9. Do you offer licence limitations removals?

Yes, if you let us know what restrictions/limitations you have on your licence, we can create a bespoke training package with a tailored examination to get them removed. If this is something you are interested in, please email

10. Do you offer bespoke Part 66 courses?

Yes, if your business would like bespoke Part 66 courses and examinations, please contact

11. Can I study the Part 66 modules in any order?

Yes, the modules can be taken in any order. However, in some instances, it may be beneficial to have studied earlier modules first, as the contents covered within these courses can ease you into later modules.

12. Can I do my module exams online?

We do not offer online examinations for Part-66 courses. For more information regarding examinations, please refer to either the Part 66 instructor-led FAQs or Part 66 self-study FAQs.

13. If I live in the UK, do the EASA rules apply to me?

Since January 2021, the UK has been considered a third country and is no longer an EASA member state. However, Resource Group seamlessly retained its EASA Part 147 approval so can still provide EASA Part 66 approved training and examinations. Please contact us at for more information.

14. Does the UK remain part of EASA?

No, the UK left EASA in January 2021 and the CAA became the national aviation authority in the UK.

15. Should I get a UK CAA or an EASA Licence?

If you work for an organisation that maintains UK-registered aircraft, then we would recommend a UK CAA Part-66 Licence. If you work for an organisation that maintains aircraft that are registered in an EU member state, then we would recommend an EASA Part-66 Licence.